Thursday, September 4, 2008

Dress Code

Today we talked about all the different dress codes that the principles and deans are enforcing more this year. Tons of girls have been caught for wearing leggings and "too short" of shorts, I think that the idea of leggings can be justified on thier part, but i think that the length that they expect your shorts to be is a little extreme. They say it should be less than two inches above the knee, but its hard to even find shorts in a store that sell stylish and cute shorts that are less than two inches above the knee. Also something else that is completley ridiculous is how if your wearing leggings and your dress or skirt doesnt come down til tweo inches below your knees you can also be in violation of the dress code. If you violate the dress code they force you to wear red scrubs, which is them trying to make an example of you to other students but really most students dont think the kid made a mistake they just think that the adult that got you in trouble needs a life/ or creeping on you.
Nicole Busch

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nicole; I don’t think it’s fair at all that the deans and/or administrators are making the girls who violate the dress code to wear those bright red scrubs. That won’t make an example out of them; it just pisses people off even more because they think it is ridiculous. I see why sometimes shorts can be a little too short, but come on- two inches above the knee is kind of extreme. Some Bermuda shorts don’t even come that close. I don’t understand why they are changing it anyway. Last year I could wear shorts that were fine, but for some reason now I can’t? I just don’t think it’s fair. If I can wear modest looking shorts to a country club, I think they are appropriate for school. Also, I can see where leggings might be banned, but Mr. Lonze said in the meeting if you have something to go over them, then it’s fine. However, a student was taken to the office because her dress, mind you that was worn over leggings, wasn’t two inches above the knee. Oh come on, shorts are banned because they show SKIN and leggings are banned because they are too tight, but if you are wearing something to cover yourself why does it need to be two inches above the knee? It is not showing skin…that is the whole point why you are wearing leggings in the first place. Anyway, this dress code is taking it to whole new degree, next we might be banned of wearing too tight of jeans.

homegurljanisse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
homegurldickieson said...

I also agree with Nicole and Leah, but I also feel like there is a bigger problem related to this dress code situation. Shouldn’t the teachers and administrators be focusing on more important thing such as violence, drugs, and ex… the school will be too focused on what a girl is wearing instead of being there for a student that has just gotten very hurt, does that sound right? What is the reason for this? I realize that some girls wear very short shorts or maybe even tank tops that show way too much cleavage but honestly why the people that dress fine are getting punished. If the reason is distractment, who are the distracted people, because it seems like the administration are the only ones getting distracted. Doesn’t that just sound sick, our administration is basically checking out the students. Will students feel save going to a school that is supposedly so great and so welcoming when there dean and principle are checking them out…? NO. I know that in my family my parent wouldn’t let me leave my house in clothing that wasn’t appropriate, and yes that may be different that other families but that is why we love the school we go to. Everyone is different in so many ways. But if something is honestly so inappropriate that they can’t wear it to school, then send the student home. If my family thinks it’s appropriate, then I feel like I have the right to wear it to school. If administration has such a problem with my so called inappropriate clothes, then they can buy me new clothes.
Erin Dickieson

MissHolmesKinder said...

I hate to be a mom about this (but I sort of am going to be) but I can see where the administrators are coming from. Unfortunately they have to make the rules super strict because there is always some idiot who takes it a step too far. My guess is that their mentality is somewhere along the lines of trying to overcompensate, so when a "violation" occurs, it's not too innapropriate. I do also agree that they have made our clothing a huge attention getter, which defeats the purpose of the dress code. If these banned garments are supposedly distracting to the learning environment, bringing huge amounts of attention to them is not fixing the problem. Now students are thinking of more ways to rebel and bend the rules. I have even heard people who want to wear the scrubs. I think this dress code looks a lot better on paper, but when implemented, it creates more caos than anything.

HomegurlHolmes

homegurljanisse said...

I agree to both sides to some extent. I understand the low cut shirts, and the really short-shorts. What I don't agree with is the leggings, hardtails, and headbands or hats. The tanktop rule is also a little extreme. What part of our shoulders is a distraction to others?

Another question is what does any of this have to do with our education? People getting in trouble and getting sent home strictly takes them away from it.
Seaholm on the other hand, has the same adminastrive set of rules.. do you see them wearing bright red scrubs? most likely, no. Why does seaholms district not apply and ours does?

I agree with Erin...buy me some clothes, and maybe you'll get your way.

Homegurl Janisse

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think it’s a tad bit unfair that Seaholm can wear whatever clothes they like, but for some reason just because I live on the other side of 14 mile, I can’t wear shorts, Hardtails, or leggings to school. Most Seaholm students come over to Groves to take classes and they still get to wear their dress code violations on our campus. For instance, in my Chemistry class today, a girl from Seaholm was wearing leggings. None of the boys looked at her as a distraction; she blended in to the rest of the class.

I agree with Reanna, low cut tops and hoochie mamma shorts should be banded from Groves, but the rest of the dress code is taking it to the extreme. Also, like I stated before, the bright, obnoxious, red, scrubs add an even more distraction to the class and student body of Groves. I have seen teachers wearing skirts and dress that so call “break the dress code” why doesn’t Mr. Lonze put them in bright, red scrubs?

Leah Cenko