Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11, 2001

Do you agree or disagree that the effects of 9-11 have caused a long lasting alteration in American culture?

It’s been almost seven years to the day when I watched the World Trade Centers crumble down in the early morning. During the movie, I started to understand the facts about what happened in the events leading up to the tragedy. It seems impossible that the government could have over looked the threats on the United States. How could the FAA and the United States’ Military have bad communication skills?

Although this disaster was one of the worst terrorist attacks on the United States, I don’t think it has affected the American Culture all that much. Before watching the movie, I barely ever thought about it besides when the anniversary came around. It seemed like once five years passed, all the American flags were taken down and the patriotism was lost. It seems crazy considering I got so angry after watching the movie, that I have forgotten the most catastrophic event in my generation.

Leah Cenko

4 comments:

MissHolmesKinder said...

I feel almost the same way about the issue. Ever since the initial shock wore off, life seems to have gone almost completely back to normal. The moments following the attacks were what frightened Americans. The fact that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center buildings was shocking, tragic and unsettling, but discovering that this event was no accident frightened Americans more. The families of victims from the attack certainly have not gone a day without remembering, but it is unfortunate, in a way, that the majority of the public has set the events of September 11th on the back burner so to speak, only remembering on the anniversaries. I unfortunately fall under this category. The fact that this was the worst attack on American soil and that it happened in my lifetime makes me frustrated that most people do not address it. It is unfortunate that the miscommunications and failure to uphold American security standards, were a major factor in the attacks, yet by mourning and moving on we are doing the same. Immediately following the attacks security in airports was increased exponentially. Why today, is this level not the same? How do we, as Americans predict when a terrorist will attempt to make it through the system? And who will choose to increase the security on that particular day and possibly save thousands of lives? You would think since the airlines and United States government made so many mistakes and were so ridiculously under prepared to deal with the original event, they would continue to uphold higher standards to prevent such tragedy to the nation, and embarrassment on their behalf. I am not saying that Americans need to live their lives everyday in fear of another attack, but we cannot act as though everything is back to normal and nothing bad will ever happen again on American soil. In this regard, yes I do believe that 9/11 has had a lasting effect on Americans. The “we are invincible” and “nobody would ever bother us because were so big and strong” mentality was erased from the majority of this lifetime. Every time I hear the numbers nine and eleven I do remember the significance of the day, and always will. Hopefully this date will be the only one necessary to remember for a United States attack for our lifetime, but we must remember this day to prevent another attack from happening.

HomegurlHolmes

homegurljanisse said...

The topic just frusterates me. It's incredible that they let this slide. Seeing the movie made me sick to my stomach. It makes you wonder what our government is really doing. How could they give the terrorist visa's in the first place?

Still to this day, I don't have trust in high positions. They need to keep us informed in everything, especially if our lives are in risk. We didn't even know about the potential risk of terror that was being looked at. The government and security at tower two also didn't do anything to stop it. They told people to go back to work, when there were thousands of people dying next door.. why is that? It's ridiculous how our officials let all of this slide by and still do this day don't know why it happened.

Any day now, our country could be attacked.. will we be prepared for it? Probably Not.

homegurlbusch said...

September 11th was a very stressful time for all americans, no matter where you lived. The event will always be part of our lives becasue whats going on in the world now has a lot to do with what happened on 9/11. Also the effects of 9/11 will always have an impact on us because it made our country unite and become a more patriotic place. Having the two world trade centers go down was devistaing to all of us and will never be something we forget. I dont think that we would be such a patriotic country if it werent for 9/11. Although some people dont agree with the way the government handeled the whole situation we still came together. They messed up a lot of things, and they could have prevented the second tower being hit it if they had watched the air monitors and listened to the flight attendents more.
nicole busch

homegurldickieson said...

I don’t feel like September 11th has affected people that were not in some way related to it as badly as it has affected the people or families involved. I wish that I sat around thinking about it every day since because I know that’s what the people affected by it have to go through on a daily basis. Watching the video in class made me come back to the event and realize how horrible it was. I was only in 5th grade at the time, when I was that age I really had no idea what was going on. It is a huge deal and I wish that the memorial of September 11th wasn’t the only day we thought about it. I think all together it is a long term event because the day of September 11th will never be forgotten I just wish it wasn’t put to the side the rest of the year. The movie just made me so angry at our government and it made me feel like I should have done something. I think remembering all the people that were lost on that tragic day shows how much I care because those people disserve to never be forgotten.
Erin Dickieson